Submitted on Wed, 26-November-2014
- Brush Gugelhupf mould with melted butter and preheat oven to 180 °C (fan).
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with icing sugar to a cream. Flavour with a shot of nut liqueur or rum and vanilla sugar.
- Rub the toast between your fingers to create very fine breadcrumbs. Mix well with the flour and the grated almonds. Stir into the egg yolk mix and mix together thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites with the granulated sugar to a stiff peak. Carefully fold the beaten egg white into the mix. Pour the mix into the prepared mould. Bake for around 45 – 50 minutes.
- Remove the Gugelhupf, allow to cool slightly, then tip out. Gently heat the apricot jam and coat the Gugelhupf (using a brush).
- Roast almond flakes in a coated pan without fat until light brown and spread over the Gugelhupf.
Source: Austrian National Tourist Office